.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

10 year anniversary

Yep, ten years ago today the state told me that I could legally purchase and consume alcohol. And, as I sit here at 9:30 in the morning, sipping my frosty cold beer and trying to calculate just how many gallons of ethanol my liver has processed in the last decade, I can't help but notice how much the world has changed.

Here is a short list of things that haven't changed that much in the last ten years.

When I turned 21 I worked the grave yard shift and then went home to an empty apartment and a full bottle of single malt scotch; today I worked the grave yard shift, then came home to an empty apartment and a full case of home brew.
When I turned 21, the primary topic of conversation was the recent increase in gasoline prices, still is.
Ten years ago, a lot of people were expressing concern about the Presidents crooked dealings (gee, glad to see that has changed).
Ten years ago I spent a good portion of my working day training people who were making more than I was, now I just have to put up with the idiocy of people who make more than I do.
When I turned 21 I spent a fair amount of my free time nursing cuts, scrapes and black eyes; now I spend a goodly amount of my time nursing arthritic hands, chronically sore feet, and old injuries that never healed up right.
When I was 21 I wanted to take on the world, now I'll be happy to just sit back and let it destroy itself.

Now for the things that actually are different.

10 years ago I had an alcohol induced ulcer the size of my thumb, that is no longer the case (completely healed, not the other thing).
I had not met 95 percent of the people I know now.
I had never been out of the country.
I didn't have any un-used education or superfluous degrees.
I had a much higher tolerance for human stupidity.
I was much less patient.
I still gave a shit.



Yep, nothing like a birthday to make you realize just how much you've been spinning your tires.

Another year closer to the finish line and not a damn thing to show for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger mayim said...

i didn't realize we were so close in age and birthday.

thanks for remembering mine. sorry for missing yours.

m

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter