.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Another interesting day


So today I woke to a message informing me that one of my cousins on the east coast was found dead in his car this morning about a block from his home.

It kinda surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't.  We're all getting older.
Still, he was only in his mid 50's.

At first I thought it might have been some sort of violence but that doesn't appear to be the case (he and his wife are well off enough to live in the kind of neighborhood where the neighbors notice gunfire in the early morning hours).

Still waiting on a cause of death.
Some of us are thinking heart attack as he was a big man (6'7" and powerfully built), and worked a high stress job.  Other's are thinking blood clot (he had recently been to Europe, and those 17 hour plane rides aren't the healthiest thing in the world).

His mother, of course, is inconsolable.

And his wife is not doing well by most accounts either, which is to be expected.


It's odd, all these years and I've never managed to get the hang of talking to someone who's just lost a child or close family member. 

I just never seem to know what to say, so most of the time I just don't say anything.

But still, I hate being 3,000 miles away and unable to do anything but send warm wishes through the email, or express condolences over the phone.


I've been getting awfully good at expressing condolences these last few years... But I still never know what to say.

Anyway, the day just got more interesting from there. 


So tonight I'm going to have a drink, maybe two.

And I'll say 'Goodnight cousin John'.
'Goodbye and good luck'.

Fate smiling, we'll all meet up for beers on the other side.
Till then, save us all a booth and get a tab started.

Slainte'





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter