.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Friday, July 23, 2004

Professional Courtesy

I have a tomato plant growing outside my window in a trough that is made from a piece of four inch PVC.  There is no soil in the trough, just a little bit of gravel and vermiculite.  All the water and nutrients that my little plant needs are provided by me, twice a day, by means of an old plastic milk jug.  There are some folks, I'm sure, who would derive a great deal of pleasure from having that much control over another living thing, but I personally don't like it.  I find this degree of dependence disturbing in something that (so far as I can tell) has no quantifiable interest in my continued wellbeing beyond the twice daily application of fertilizer solution, and the forcible removal of garden pests.

Now on my little tomato plant there resides a small green bug, approximately three quarters of an inch long, which makes a sound that is something of a cross between angry tree frog and drunken cricket.  So far he (for the sake of brevity) is the only one of his kind that I have spotted, and I can only assume that he was accidentally deposited here by an odd gust of wind, or a shipment of produce that was poorly inspected or something of the like.   
He apparently intends no harm to my little tomato plant, and seems content to sit there night after night, crystalline wings extended and vibrating in the moonlight, singing.  
Every night the same song issues from beneath the green leaves, and every night his long antennae and feelers comb the air, searching... 
I find myself wondering, is the angry tree frog/drunken cricket song a lure for prey, is it a way to mark territory, is he hoping to find another small green bug out there to share his song with, or is he simply singing to distract himself from his situation, to drive away the miasma that comes with prolonged solitude. 

I don't think I will kill the small green bug, though he may be drawing undue attention to my little tomato plant.  He is just one more in a sea of travelers, lost in an unfamiliar and hostile place, wondering how he got so far off course, and hoping against all better judgment that if he keeps singing his song he will find peace in the dark, hidden beneath the green leaves,  alone beneath the silvery moon.   

2 Comments:

Blogger Murph said...

I havn't had any luck with mine yet. I have several green tomatos on the vine, but I have had to destroy several of them before they had a chance to ripen. (Blossom end rot, the hydroponic solution is too rich in nitrogen and dosen't have enough calcium. I'm pretty sure that I've got it taken care of though, and I should be able to start harvesting in the next week or two)

11:25 PM  
Blogger J.G.N., Associate Psychopath said...

Do you think the insect ever considers not singing his song? He may be so far from the nearest insect that might recognize it. I think he feels it's what he MUST do. It's all he has. Nice blog. You should set up a drip system on that 'mater plant, save you some trouble.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter