.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Snifter

We know that memory is often powerfully associated with smell, though we don't seem to know why. My theory is that it is a survival instinct. If we associate the smell of a predator with the death of a friend, that smell will always heighten our situational awareness. 

 Likewise, if we associate the smell of a certain food with violent illness, then we will automatically avoid that food. 

 This could be a naturally wired response, or it could be the result of generations of naturally selective breeding, who knows.

But the curious thing is that this adaptation also lends itself to non-threatening situations.

This morning I found myself behind a logging truck loaded with pine. I knew this a full mile before I caught up with him.

I was thinking of my early childhood,
pitch and dust and grease and diesel,
livestock and hot tar and the slow sizzle of cooking grass,
summertime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter