.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A funny thing happened on the way to the liquor store.

To start with I should mention that I have an interesting bumper and back window on my pickup. Most people around here will find at least one thing there that either angers or disturbs them.

With this in mind...

I'm sitting in town in traffic after work this afternoon (crawling through construction zones, and inching my way up to the stop light) when this vehicle pulls in behind me, I mean right behind me, as in inches off by back bumper behind me. I am stopped about 250 feet from the stop light, and I have left a space of about 20 feet between my vehicle and the one in front of me (There is a rather well hidden side street there, and I'm trying to do the courteous thing and not block it). So I'm sitting at the red light, and the driver of the vehicle behind me (the one nearly nestled under my back bumper) starts leaning on the horn, gesticulating and shouting something at me out the window.
At this point the light finally turns green, and we start moving; I'm trying to get a good look at the driver of the vehicle behind me, but the glare on the windshield is too bright.
Now, I should explain that I'm trying to make a left turn in a five way intersection, in construction, at twelve thirty in the afternoon with people jumping off the sidewalks to avoid the dust from the construction crew, and the local chapter of the Octogenarian Road Racing Association jackrabbiting through the intersection at a blistering two miles per hour. So I know that I'm going to be stuck for about three lights before I manage to get through the intersection.
The first light passes, and the vehicle behind me (though still right on my bumper) is behaving itself. The second light passes and I'm just thinking to my self that I will be able to make the intersection on the next light, when the door to the vehicle behind me opens, and a thin (and not unattractive) lady in her late 30's/early 40's steps out of the drivers side and starts walking purposefully (in the middle of a busy intersection with cars passing on both sides of our vehicles) up to my window. She pauses by the back of my truck and I (more out of habit than anything else) check to make sure that my ten inch contractors screwdriver is within handy reach, and prepare for a quick and angry lecture (not the first I've had, but the first in the middle of an intersection) about displaying heresy and obscenity on the back of my vehicle.
As soon as there is a short break in traffic, she walks right up to my drivers side window, leans in and says, "I just wanted to tell you that I really like your bumper stickers. I mean, I'm a christian, but I still believe a lot of those things too, thats great". I mumble something in reply friendly reply, and she turns on her heal and sort of bounces back to her car. The light changes, and as I put my truck in gear three thoughts occure almost simultaniously.

1. A not unattractive 35-45 year old lady just risked life and limb to talk to me about bumper stickers.

2. She must be crazier than I am.

3. I should have tried to get her number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter