.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Nostradamus I aint.

So why do we find ourselves so often pre-occupied with the future?
Its as if we think that seeing what comes next will enable us to deal with what has come before, will help us to decided what must be done now to change what will be tomorrow.
In the end we must face the sad fact that many of us can see into the future, or at least into the broader screen of the "macro-future".
We know that there will always be war and famine and pestilence and death, so long as we as a species exist. We can be fairly certain that the future holds corruption and greed, misery and strife, conflict and growth, failure and redemption and constant struggle. We can even say, with a fair degree of certainty, that the world will end eventually. I'm fairly confident that most of us would even be willing to go out on a limb and state that the sun will rise tomorrow. We all know that there will be tyrants and saviors, murderers and healers, politicians and prostitutes. Deep down I think we all know that there are certain universal constants, certain patterns of human behavior that we will never fully be rid of.
These are the factors that drive this future everyone seems so keen on seeing.
As for the small future, the psychic friends"what will I do, how will I die, will ever find anyone I can get along with for more than a few months" future, well who really cares? In the end, our existence washes out of the same celestial sluice box as every one else's, and with roughly the same results. A lot of hard work, a little bit of gold, and a whole whopping mound of shit left over.


I have seen the future!!!

Its a lot like the present,
but with kinkier sex toys.

2 Comments:

Blogger middleagesteve said...

I could say a glimmer of hope might be 'off world colonization' they are going to do it anyway, but not for finding peace, no, for ways of making more money. People have already paid for the first flights, no surprise that they want to get off the planet. But space is even scarier than here, I would only miss the amazing geological features we have here, earth is awesome but humanity is a little more complicated. I have given up sandwiches after midnight, hooray for me.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Murph said...

Could be, though in the end folks are folks. I figure space wouldn't be much different than earth.

Good luck with the sandwiches.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter