.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rants and Poetry of a Tired and Angry Man.

Just what the title says, don't look for anything too profound or earthshaking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am my title, the typically overeducated, disenfranchised, socially dysfunctional loudmouth. I am the disgruntled employee of the month.

Friday, August 08, 2014

Duct Tape, Broken Dreams and Fear



Someone was asking the other day what my job entails, and how we keep our company afloat.

I gave them the title of this as the answer and I don't think they believed me.


The sad fact is that I'm in the fear peddling business. 

I make my living from the tragedy of others.

And I'm actually kind of ok with that.


See I've worked for companies that peddled hope, and I've seen how destructive that can be.

And I've worked for companies that peddle fear, and seen the same.


I think it's not really possible to work for an organization that isn't selling one or the other in some small way, it's just that the last few jobs I've had were kind of at extremes on the spectrum.


And I don't know which is worse.


They're both destructive paths, they both do very little good for society or humanity (though society and humanity traditionally demand their presence in spite of this).


So all told, I have no real problem peddling fear for folks that will buy it. 


So I embraced the dark side for a while, so what.

 It keeps a roof over my head, it pays my most of my bills most months (though it doesn't do much more than that), and I rarely have any bones broken on the job.


It is what it is.









You need to know what you are before you can become what you are supposed to be. In order to know what you are now, you must learn what you are going to be.
― S.K.N. Hammerstone ―

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter